PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing raw eggs

emschwar
02-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Can raw eggs be dyed? Noah and I dyed easter eggs on friday, and he loved it, so I'd like to do it again, but I'm not sure how many hard boiled eggs we can really consume. He won't eat them, and I've had it up to here with the smell. We have no problem using raw eggs, so if we could dye those, it'd be the perfect solution!

Any reason not to dye them, aside from the fragility and mess if he drops one? It's food-safe dye, right?

pride&prejudice
02-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Can raw eggs be dyed? Noah and I dyed easter eggs on friday, and he loved it, so I'd like to do it again, but I'm not sure how many hard boiled eggs we can really consume. He won't eat them, and I've had it up to here with the smell. We have no problem using raw eggs, so if we could dye those, it'd be the perfect solution!

Any reason not to dye them, aside from the fragility and mess if he drops one? It's food-safe dye, right?

Yes. My mom and I do psyanki (polish/russian/ukrainian) easter eggs almost every year. I don't know what type of dyes you use, but I know that you have to have something to hold it down in the dye, since they have a tendency to float to the top. There are food safe dyes, well at least ones that if we broke the eggs we ould use the yolks and whites. :)

Occasionally we will use a few at easter or there abouts, but some of the intricate designs we save. If you do that you just have to turn them every now and then so that the yolk dries up evenly. Evetually it will turn into a little ball on the inside. Some of the ones that I did when I was in gradeschool have the little "balls" in them now. The only down side to this is if the egg breaks before the yolk has hardened. :( Nasty smell.

The later is just a thought if you decide to decorate some with him. HTH!

emschwar
02-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh, we wouldn't save any. We're not talkign anything fantastic - just colored eggs. (He's 2.) We buy the dye kits at the store, and I'm pretty sure it's just tablets of food coloring.

j*east
02-25-2007, 01:06 PM
You could blow the eggs out and leave the shells whole. That's what my mom always did b/c we hated hard boiled eggs. Take a skewer (metal is best, or you could use a big sewing needle, like one for embroidery). Poke it through the pointy end, just in and out, to make a tiny hole. Then, poke it through the wider end, but move the skewer around a bit to make a hole around 1/4 inch wide. Put the pointy end to your mouth and blow hard--the egg will fall out the other side. Catch the egg in a bowl and use them for scrambled eggs, cakes, whatever. They will also freeze well, and then you can use them in recipes.

The shells will be empty, but you can rinse them with water if you like and dye as usual. They won't sink in the dye like whole eggs, but you can hold them in the dye with a spoon or something.

This is how we dyed eggs for years, and the nice thing is you can then keep them forever. :)

pride&prejudice
02-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh I completely forgot about blowing them out too like j*east said. I think mom never took that route because they didn't sink in the dye too well.

If that's the dye, then you should be good.

I only started doing them when I was about 5. It was mostly squiggly lines, but I was facinated with the beeswax and how it melted. :o So I bugged mom till she let me do that.

QueenDillyDally
02-25-2007, 01:16 PM
We used to blow eggs out too as a youngster. Now a days, I would be more concerned about the possiblity of Salmonella poisioning blowing out my own eggs. Is there a way to do with without the mouth actually touching the egg? Or Maybe you can just use rubbing alcohol and wash the egg off really good before blowing them out? I dunno.

karlatta
02-25-2007, 01:21 PM
We used to dye our eggs with just regular food color and white vinegar. I think that if you did that, you would have no problems eating them afterwards.

emschwar
02-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't really want to blow the eggs. That's too much trouble. If worse comes to worse, we can just dye eggs for the fun and pitch the eggs if they dont' get eaten (eggs aren't very expensive), but I'd rather not do that. I KNOW dozens of hardboiled eggs won't get eaten here, but we use a fair amount of raw eggs, so I'd rather just dye those if I can.

heather 8^)
02-27-2007, 07:08 AM
If you want to dye raw eggs, I would recommend buying pasteurized eggs. Salmonella, when present, is often on the OUTSIDE of the egg shell, so you don't really want a 2yo playing with them without that little extra assurance that they're safe. The pasteurized eggs have a stamp on them to show they've been treated, but your son might think that's extra fun! :)

rubyredslippers
02-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Spend the dollar or two, boil the eggs and color them. You won't have to worry about raw egg mess or (minor) chance of salmonella.

Instead of tossing them, chop them, shells and all, and put them out for the birds. (Not all at once--put them in a bag in the freezer, and put a few out each day.)

The birds will love them, especially with nesting season coming up soon. And your son will like watching the birds.