PDA

View Full Version : How hot does the outside of your oven get?

Delaney21
02-19-2007, 08:33 AM
The other day I was using my oven and DS was sitting in his papasan in the kitchen. I leaned down to play with him and when I went to get up, I put my hand on the door of the oven (underneath the window) and it was so hot it almost burned my hand. I didn't think the outside of a stove/oven was supposed to get that hot...I would think there would be a safety feature to protect against that.

I contacted the company and they responded stating that they were going to call me to discuss my concern and get more info. They didn't call and instead I got a second email stating that it was that it's normal for the outside to get really hot. This seems like it would be a huge liability for the company.

Does the outside of your stove/oven get super hot??

shopaholic
02-19-2007, 08:34 AM
it gets warm where you can tell the oven is on but it doesn't get hot enough to burn your hand.

Niobe
02-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Yes, but we have a really old gas oven/stove. The oven door handle (bare metal) gets so hot I need an oven mitt to open it.

LexyLou
02-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Do you have an old oven? Ours is totally cool to the touch on the outside which I love because DD loves for me to turn on the light so she can look at the food cooking in the oven, especially if it's cookies. :)

Asha
02-19-2007, 08:52 AM
our's is warm, but not too hot.

Delaney21
02-19-2007, 08:54 AM
It's only 3 years old...and it's seriously hot, not just warm! I'm trying to think of a way to see how hot it gets, any suggestions?

berry
02-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Mine is a fairly cheap oven (in the apt we rent), that isn't very accurate in terms of baking/cooking temperature. That said, it only ever gets warm on the outside. So if you touched the outside of the oven it would be warm, but not hot enough to burn or hurt you.

kindermom
02-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Our Kenmore oven is only 1 yo but it barely gets warm in use (I chave checked bc of my toddler).

I can not recall any of my previous ovens getting hot. The last one we had was about 6-8 years old and it was warm to the touch.

FWIW, when we bought a Kenmore side by side fridge, the center piece in the door got really really hot (like would scald if I left my hand there) and they tried telling me this is normal. Let's just say that when the tech came out to see it he said it was NOT normal, they just did not want to make good on the warranty.

Niobe
02-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I wonder if you could put a grill thermometer on your oven door to measure it's surface temperature. Those little thermometers you sit on a grill top? Aren't some magnetic?

Delaney21
02-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I wonder if you could put a grill thermometer on your oven door to measure it's surface temperature. Those little thermometers you sit on a grill top? Aren't some magnetic?

Even if it wasn't magnetic, I could tape it on or something. I've never seen or heard of those - Do you know where I could get one?

ETA: NM, I found one on amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Weekend-Warrior-Surface-Thermometer/dp/B000EUIF76 That would probably work!

Mrs. M.
02-19-2007, 11:24 PM
My oven doesn't get hot at all, maybe a little warm. If it gets hot, the insulation must be very poor, which means you are also wasting a ton of energy!

Fwiw, mine is a pretty cheap oven from Whirlpool/Ikea.

TX Sweetheart
02-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Ours doesn't get super hot, but it's a bit more than warm, depending on what temperature we're using...

sublime311
02-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Do you have a warranty? If so, you could call for service and if not to get it fixed at least to get a report that something is wrong.