PDA

View Full Version : Throwing up but no other symptoms?

LexyLou
11-19-2006, 05:59 PM
My almost 14 month old DD has been throwing up the last three days 2-3 times a day.

She has no other symptoms-no fever, not cranky, not overly tired, etc...but she has vomited the most vile vomit just randomly throughout the day.

Does anyone know what this could be?

DH and I are wondering if it's teething (her molars) but two weeks ago she was a drooling machine and her right bottom molar came in. This week, there is no drooling and I reached in there and didn't feel anything....

Is there anything else that could be causing vomiting without other symptoms?

Gracias Senoras y Senoritas.

daphne
11-19-2006, 07:10 PM
My DS threw up 2 mornings in a row last week. I have no idea why, but he had no other symptoms, so I let it go. If he had gotten sick one more day/time, though, I would have called his ped, just to be sure. I chalked it up to a minor bug that didn't really seem to affect him much. Dunno. Hope your lil chica is all through w/her throwing up from now on!

wildcat
11-19-2006, 08:20 PM
My DD threw up last Tuesday night 3 times in 45 mins, and then again 3 hours later. We chalked it up to the flu (and the emergent care nurse and my ped agreed) and kept her home from daycare on Wednesday and she was totally fine all day and ate fine, too. Then Thursday night, she randomly vomited again. However, right now she's fighting a yeast diaper rash, and ear infection, a preliminary diagnosis of asthma resulting in breathing treatments 3x's a day, and all 4 molars are poking through. Poor kid, huh?:rolleyes:

Anyway, my brothers childhood asthma started at 1 (DD is 13 months) and my mom told me that everytime he would get a cold and congested (which DD obviously is), his tummy would get full of mucous (bc they swallow it instead of spitting it out) and he'd throw up, especially when food would hit all that mucous. I'm not sure if that's what's going on with DD, but it's the best explanation I have!

LexyLou
11-20-2006, 07:41 AM
what are the other symptoms of asthma? She doesn't seem to be wheezing or anything like that so I'd be surprised if it was asthma.

mcl
11-21-2006, 10:38 AM
hi lex,

Common symptoms of asthma:

-Coughing. Coughing from asthma is often worse at night or early in the morning, making it hard to sleep.

-Wheezing. Wheezing is a whistling or squeaky sound when you breathe.

-Chest tightness. This can feel like something is squeezing or sitting on your chest.

-Shortness of breath. Some people say they can't catch their breath, or they feel breathless or out of breath. You may feel like you can't get enough air in or out of your lungs.

-Faster breathing or noisy breathing.

count me in on the list of moms with dc throwing up. my ds threw up 3X yesterday and so far 2X today. he's still playful and smiles but i can tell no himself. i do know that his gums are so swollen and he is teething. i just hope that this stops soon because i hate leaving him to go to work and take care of other children and leave him with dh.

wildcat
11-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Just wanted to post an update. My DD has now been diagnosed (through chest xrays) with pneumonia. I don't think anyone should use me as an example right now!! When I read the list of symptoms of pneumonia, vomiting is on there. However, she also had the cough w/o fever and other symptoms as well. (she still has the asthma stuff going on too).

ginadc
11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey Lex, I just saw that you were in NJ too. I think this may be a bug that's going around. My DD (almost 10 months) has had the same thing (and FWIW, so did I last week). We both just hurled like maniacs last Tuesday; I got over it by Wednesday but she was still throwing up periodically on Thursday, so we got her in to the pediatrician and he said it was likely a stomach virus. She also turned out to have an ear infection, so we got amoxicillin for that.

He suggested that we get OTC lactobacillus and give it with her bottle to help settle her tummy, which we've been doing, but really there was nothing to do but ride it out. Like your DD, she's had no fever and basically been normal and happy (except for the runny nose/coughing of the cold-turned-ear-infection, which doesn't appear to be related, though I think the coughing probably makes the urping worse). She didn't throw up all weekend or yesterday. But then at day care today they fed her a little too much--I told them that she's been "grazing," drinking only 2-3 ounces of formula at a time and more often, probably because her stomach's still a little sensitive, but they gave her 6 ounces--and she spewed it all back up. But again, she's fine otherwise.

So...my guess is maybe your daughter has what we've had? (DH has also been feeling nauseous/crappy the last couple of days.)

LexyLou
11-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks ladies. We'll starting yesterday she got a fever and runny nose...so she's definitely got a bug.

I took her to the ped to make sure there wasn't an ear infection too and she's all clear so you're right.

Looks like there is just something going around. Thanks everyone!