PDA

View Full Version : Do you cite hors d'oeuvres on the wedding invitation?

smilewithme
08-17-2006, 08:50 AM
The plan for my sister's reception is hors d'oeuvres only. Do we list this on the invitation so people know there will not be a full sit-down meal?

TIA!

maplekitty
08-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Yes, you can say "cocktail and hors d'ouevre reception to follow" or att eh location, or put that on the reception card as you would a "dinner reception" card.

Hello Kitty
08-17-2006, 09:07 AM
I agree - it's just courteous for the guests to know not to anticipate a full meal, even if they shouldn't be assuming that in the first place. ;)

ejs
08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
I agree - it's just courteous for the guests to know not to anticipate a full meal, even if they shouldn't be assuming that in the first place. ;)

If someone's reception was during meal-time, I would expect a meal. I thnk most people would. I think it's rude to have a reception during meal-time and not serve a meal, so I think guests should definitely be told in advance.

Sandie78
08-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I think this is somewhat of a regional thing. At almost every single wedding I attended here in the southeast the reception was hor deourves only, regardless of the wedding time. No mention was made in the invitation since hor deourves are the norm here.

allyray231
08-17-2006, 12:25 PM
I think you can just say "cocktail and hors d'ouevre reception to follow: on the card. I don't think it is rude at all. If it is what they want-it is fine.

DiscoDiva
08-17-2006, 06:01 PM
It depends. Are you having light appetizers and the guests won't get full? Or you have a ton of appetizers and they guests will eat as much as they would at a more formal meal? If the first, say "cocktail reception to follow". If the second choice, I'd just say "reception to follow."

MrsAttackKitten
08-17-2006, 06:07 PM
I agree. I have only been to hors d'oeuvres receptions here in the southeast too.

At the bottom of my invitation it said:

The celebration continues with hors d'oeuvres, dancing, and dessert immediately following the ceremony.

msnicolea
08-18-2006, 07:56 AM
I would mention it, as people will often assume dinner is being served if the reception is around meal time.

kk junebug
08-18-2006, 08:22 AM
I also agree that it should be mentioned.
We went to a wedding reception at 6pm. Our response card read :"Outdoor reception to follow..." (to prepare people to bring a jacket, etc)
HOWEVER...they didnt mention that there wasnt a full meal being served.....which needless to say we left the reception STARVING!

Sandie78
08-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Hor d'oeurve receptions must be different in other parts of the country. Like I said most receptions in the southeast are hor d'oeurves only, and you most definitely do not leave hungry. Usually there is food left over.

ManteoChik
08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I live in the southeast and I've only been to one reception where a dinner was not served.

I would put "cocktail reception to follow" on the invitation.

DallasLady
08-28-2006, 09:37 AM
I agree, put it on the invitation so people know what to expect.