PDA

View Full Version : fruit and poop

solongtogo
08-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Nasty title, I know.

DD has a bad diaper rash right now. Daycare provider said that if I don't give her so much fruit, she won't poop as much. Now she is pooping probably 3-7 times a day. I give her usually fruit at breakfast, lunch and dinner...

I've never heard of this before...is this right? Does fruit make you poop??

twinnyme
08-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Hmm, interesting. I don't know the answer but I'm interested to hear what others think. DD (who is 19 months) eats a lot of fruit but not so many veggies and she poops probably 3-4 times a day still. (Her daycare provider was just joking with me the other day about how often she goes; and when her pediatrician asked at her 15 month WBV if she pooped at least once a day, I just laughed - I figured every kid pooped this much.) She isn't prone to diaper rash, though!

Anyway, I know that's not much help but maybe others have other input.

alienhost
08-16-2006, 02:16 PM
a lot of fruits do "help" with pooping if they are constipated. Peaches, plums, prunes, pears - "P" for pooping. I don't know that it makes you go more often or more in volume though.

Bananas and apples can be binding. Maybe ensure she is have a mix of binding vs non-binding throughout the day?

I give DD fruit at B, L and D and she usually poops 2-3 times at most, sometimes only once.

Sophia
08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Yep, many fruits have tons of fiber and can even cause diarrhea if eaten too often.

kimthebride
08-16-2006, 02:48 PM
DS is 14mo and eats lots of fresh fruit at least 3x a day. He poops 1-3x a day. And he normally doesn't eat the binding fruits (apples & bananas).

solongtogo
08-16-2006, 03:03 PM
OK so I'm not off my rocker then giving fruit 3 times a day...she usually gets watermelon, cantelope, honeydew, bananas, or apples (applesauce) the majority of the time...

AlisonCO
08-16-2006, 03:06 PM
I find that my kids get a rash when they eat too many acidic foods like apples, berries, grapes, tomatoes, fruit juice (DD doesn't get juice but if DS has one full strength apple juice box, he has diarrhea) etc. DD gets fruit 4 times a day but 2 of those are banana and one of the other ones is low acid like melon - she generally poops 1-3 times a day and sometimes it does sortof burn her bottom. Did you just start milk? If so maybe it is a slight reaction to that? If she is having diarrhea that is causing the rash, I wonder if she has a bug or is teething - maybe cut back to bland foods for a day and see if that helps (bananas, bland carbs etc.) Hope it gets better - Triple Paste ointment is awesome!

BeachBum
08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Now you guys have me curious, how much fruit does your child eat as a serving? I usually give H fruit at breakfast and for a snack and he will eat an entire whatever (nectarine, banana, pear, plum etc).
I worried that it was too much so I only let him have it those two times. How much do your kids eat?

Yes, solongtogo, I think fruit makes kids poop more often but H poops 1x or 2x max.

kindermom
08-16-2006, 06:46 PM
We do fruit 2 times a day and get at least 2 good poops out of DD. Usually it is bananas and applesauce. I would imagine the fiber in the fruit would help with pooping.

AlisonCO
08-16-2006, 07:17 PM
1 serving of fruit here is 3-4 cherries, 6-8 blueberries, 1/3 of a peach/pear, 10 pieces of melon, 1/2 small banana or 1 cube of puree (to take the edge off plain yogurt.)

allyray231
08-17-2006, 08:09 AM
My son gets fruits about 3 times a day and poops anywhere from 1-2 times a day.

A serving for him is usually 1 whole kiwi, 1/2 a banana, 1/2 a peach or 4--5 cherries or grapes

cynder
08-17-2006, 08:36 AM
The title of this just makes me laugh.

I swear my kid is going to turn into a monkey one day with all the bananas he eats. He goes through one large banana at least once a day and gets 2-3 servings of fruit at daycare. We poop 1-2 a day and pretty normal.

alienhost
08-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Serving Size at breakfast I usually give 1/3 of a banana (any more and she gets constipated) AND 1/4 to 1/2 cup of some other fruit (berries, melon, peaches etc.)

Lunch/Dinner I give 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fruit (grapes, berries, melon, peaches etc). I usually do 1/2 a peach at a time and no more than 1/4 c of blueberries per day b/c the poops are nasty if I give more.

Franni
08-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Nice title I couldn't resist coming in here after that. ;)

DD is a fruit monster and will eat lots of fruit when she wants. She can eat a cereal bowl of grapes, nectarines, peaches, watermelon, cantaloupe, papaya, mango, pears, etc. She would get at least one serving (whole fruit or cereal bowl-sized) two to three times a day. YET she doesn't poop any more that once or twice a day. Rarely do we see twice a day. DD has always been a non-pooper. When she was on breastmilk, she only pooped once a week.

Diaper rash I would ask the daycare to check her diaper more often rather than not give her fruit. DD's never had a rash from eating too much fruit.

http://static.flickr.com/88/217338145_dd6e27944a.jpg?v=0

this is a picture of DD eating a peach that was half the size of her face. This so happens to be her second peach in the last hour. Yet she didn't poop anymore that day than any other.

HTH.