PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Flushes - Yay or Nay?

ShelbyMay
04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I was hesitant to try this stuff (the big tablet that dissolves in the toilet tank) because I always worried it would poison my cats if they drank out of the toilet. I picked up a package at the store the other day, and it says it is safe for children and animals. I tried it out this week, and so far I think I really like it.

My question is, has there been some 2000 Flushes controversy I've missed? Is there some environmental or child/pet safety issue I should consider? And if not, why don't more people use this product?

Scoutesina
04-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I've heard that all these drop-in cleaning products damage the toilet flapper and cause it not to flush properly, so I stopped using them. Here's more info (http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml)from a toilet expert. :)

He says: "Don´t use a tank type bowl cleaner. This gives a false sense of cleaning and will damage rubber parts in the tank. Furthermore, if you own a cat or dog, drinking from the toilet containing this bowl cleaner may make the animal sick. Tank bowl cleaners do not clean the high touch areas where germs are abundant.

Don´t leave bowl cleaner in the toilet bowl. This can etch the china surface over time. Also, people can get skin burns from splash-back of toilet bowl water that contains bowl cleaner."

bethnjim
04-06-2006, 12:28 PM
I am a BIG NAY NAY NAY person. I used these all the time and all of the sudden my toilet stopped flushing. I went into the tank and nothing was wrong there, so I had to call a plumber. Lo and behold, the stupid thing had gotten stuck in the pipe which created the backup.

Our plumber told us not to use:

disposable wipes (like baby wipes)
throw away cleaning devices (like scrubbing bubbles wand thingie)
2000 flush or any other toilet bowl cleaner

It was an expensive lesson to learn!! :(

Tanya
04-06-2006, 12:37 PM
We use them (the bleach, not the blue kind), and they work well, but the pp was right about it damaging the rubber parts in the tank. We have a strange contraption in the tanks that only has one small rubber o-ring (not the standard rubber stopper), and that did get eaten away by these. The only reason we knew was because it was starting to take 2 hands just to flush! The rubber had gotten sticky. That said, we still use them because the plusses of the bowls staying cleaner much longer outweigh having to replace a 97c piece every 6 months or so. And our dog doesn't drink out of the toilet;).

lil_geek
04-06-2006, 12:46 PM
We use them. For some reason our toilets build up crazy mold if they arent' used constantly (our powder room one specifically, and it get's used at least once a day). We used the ones with bleach.

Never had an issue with it ending up under the flapper. And the door is always closed so no invading puppies. No kids in the house either.

colz85
04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I stopped using it after I called out the plumber to fix Scary Toilet. It would flush, but it would fill allllllll the way to the top before going down. Turned out that pieces from the tablet had built up in the jet hole of the bowl....when that gets blocked, you get Scary Toilet. So. No more. I DO use the disposable cleaning thingies though, and haven't had any trouble.

2kCougar
04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
We use clorox tablets b/c of our awful water supply. We also put the lid down, so I don't have to worry about the dog getting into the toilet (I don't think that she could reach anyway!). I am well aware of the effects on the flapper valve, but it beats having to clean the toilets every day,

greenbunny
04-06-2006, 01:05 PM
The previous owners of our house used them on our colored toilet (gray) and, below the water line, the finish is disintigrated to a chalky mess. It builds up nasty mold very quickly and I can't really keep it clean. They are intended to make cleaning easier, but they have ruined this toilet and make cleaning it impossible.

ShelbyMay
04-06-2006, 01:06 PM
This is why CC is great -- I never would have known any of this! :)

I think I will let this thing run its course and then probably not buy it again. DH would be p*ssed if we had to pay a plumber to come out because of it. :rolleyes:

I don't think I can stop using the flushable toilet cleaning thingies, though -- I use the Scrubbing Bubble ones, I think. They are pretty small and look like they dissolve just as well as tissue.

greenbunny
04-06-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't think I can stop using the flushable toilet cleaning thingies, though -- I use the Scrubbing Bubble ones, I think. They are pretty small and look like they dissolve just as well as tissue.

Is it only the flushing that's the problem? Because I use nonflushable disposable scrubbers, by Clorox, and I love them. I just walk around to all the toilets with a trash bag in hand.

bethnjim
04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Is it only the flushing that's the problem? Because I use nonflushable disposable scrubbers, by Clorox, and I love them. I just walk around to all the toilets with a trash bag in hand.

Yes according to my plumber. He said the disposable scrubbers don't break down and create a backup. I stopped using them just in case and use a rag now. I HATE IT!!

LittleFredPunkinHead
04-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Ooh- me too. Those things rock!

suzubeane
04-09-2006, 04:57 AM
Yes according to my plumber. He said the disposable scrubbers don't break down and create a backup. I stopped using them just in case and use a rag now. I HATE IT!!I hear you ... rags and toilet brushes are yucky, but you can console yourself in the knowledge that by using them you're not creating waste - waste of the one-time-use product, waste to make a one-time-use product, waste to package a one-time-use product, and so forth.

Asha
04-09-2006, 07:30 AM
you would all be shocked and horrified by my cleaning toilets habit. i only clean all three of them once a week with the same non disposable toilet brush. :D my mil thinks that is wasteful, and she uses an old rag and her hands (sans gloves) to clean the inside of a toilet bowl. :eek: