View Full Version : My kitty has a cold?
03-09-2006, 09:54 PM
One of my cats currently has what I believe to be a cold. He is constantly sneezing, the area below his eyes is damp and he's just not quite acting himself. We first noticed him sneezing on Tuesday night, but he's sneezing more now.
DH and I talked about it and basically said that if we were sick, we would go to the doctor. So since he is sick, we should take him to the vet. Sounds like good logic to me, but I've never had a sick cat before. Do you just wait and see if it goes away, or should I take him to the vet tomorrow?
03-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I would go ahead and call the vet-when Max had an upper respiratory infection (kitty cold) it didn't get better til I took him in. They gave me some ointment for his eyes, and I think maybe a week's worth of antibiotics-by the 3rd day he was feeling fine enough to run when he thought it was medicine time! Then, of course, Molly would lick half the ointment off his eyes.
03-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks M&M - I almost PM'ed you to ask about it, which I guess I should have done ;)
I'll call the vet first thing tomorrow morning.
03-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey, I'm no expert! My cats have just been through more maladies than I really care to remember. Glad it can benefit another cat momma!
03-10-2006, 06:23 AM
A nastly little upper respiratory infection was passed between my four guys last winter. They were all sick for about three to four days, and then gradually got better.
Our vet said we were welcome to come in, but from my decription, they said it sounded like a "kitty cold" and that if I wanted to, I could see if it would work itself out. As long as they weren't getting worse, our vet was ok with waiting. I confess, I decided to wait because hauling four cats to the vet at once is a friggin' chore and my husband was so musy at work he couldn't help me. :o ;) Anyway, they did end up getting better...but in most cases, I'm always a call/visit the vet sort of a furmom.
03-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Chuck is doing better today, so I think I'm going to try to just wait and see how he feels over the next couple days.
03-10-2006, 12:58 PM
When I first got my Sassy she started sneezing, had a runny nose, eye gook, and was sort of lethargic. I waited a couple days and it didn't get too much better. I told a co-worker about it and she freaked out telling me I needed to take her to the vet right away. She thought it was distemper. So since she scared me to death, I left work and took her to the vet. Yep, that's what she had. Cats can die from it and that is why they give them shots for that disease.
Now, I'm not trying to scare you at all (I swear), but I would take your kitty to the vet. Kitties can't fight off stuff like we can.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.