PDA

View Full Version : Anyone allergic to Thimerosal (Mercury)?

espresso
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
So after my T.R.U.E. Allergy test apparently I am allergic to Thimersosal which is connected to mercury. I have been having dermatitis problems on my hands and the doctor says it is possibly an allergic reaction. I am trying to find out what products contain Thimerosal or organic mercury compounds but all I can find information on is the thimerosal in vaccines. Anyone else have any information? I know this is a long shot, but worth a try!

lml41981
02-23-2006, 03:19 PM
I found that the other name for Thimerosal is merthiolate and that it was created by Eli Lilly as a vaccine preservative. As such, I wouldn't think it would be in anything else, but who knows... Good luck with your research!

eta: I was wrong. It is in other things...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thimerosal

BTB
02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Yes - I have the hardest time with certain contact lens solutions which use it as a preservative. As long as I'm careful to get the "sensitive eyes" solutions, I'm ok. The ocular thing is worst for me - not too many dermal problems with it.

2kCougar
02-24-2006, 04:08 AM
My niece has a problem getting rid of mercury in her system, so at the age of 2 she was diagnosed with mercury poisoning. The only source of the mercury was her vaccinations--believe me, they ran a lot of tests to prove this. Large fish are out of the question for her and she has to limit the amount of fish in general. Also, silver dental fillings should be replaced as they contain mercury. There are a lot of other household items that contain mercury, but unless you plan on smashing most of them, you should be fine.

FYI: there was never a recall on the vaccinations containing thimerosal. They just stopped adding the product to the shots.