PDA

View Full Version : Ripping up carpets and putting in hardwoods

mb1197
02-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I did a search, but couldn't find an exact thread about this so forgive me if there is another one out there.

Our puppy is almost housebroken. 7 months later our cream colored carpets and not looking so good. I was wondering how difficult it would be to rip up the carpets everywhere but the bedrooms and put down either hardwoods or laminate wood flooring. Can someone tell me about your experience doing this and a rough estimate of cost?

TIA!

Sonicstef
02-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Ripping up the carpets is pretty easy.

What do you have underneath the carpeting now?

Ashbe
02-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi!
DH and I are getting ready to do this as well! I am interested in the information too! TIA!

mb1197
02-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Hmmm, it's a new house so I guess whatever they would normally put down under carpets is what is under there now.:confused:

usafwife
02-21-2006, 11:42 AM
We are going to be ripping up the carpet in three rooms and redoing the hardware floors that are underneath in the next couple of months. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the carpet.

mlfallis
02-21-2006, 11:52 AM
We are currently in the inbetween stage between carpet and hardwood in a large portion of our house. Since you have a husky I would suggest a lighter colour of hardwood so that when her nails scratch the floor they aren't as noticable. Also a lower gloss finish will also help this.

I would wait until she is 100% house trained if possible as repeated accidents could ruin the floor since you can't have water sit on it for any period of time.

We are getting ours professional installed due to the amount of area and the timeline we need it done by. We chose 3/4" hardwood and it worked out to about $9/sf installed in Canadian dollars.

On the existing hardwood floors the dogs have problems sliding into walls when they begin to run. It is very funny at first and they eventually get the hang of it.

Sonicstef
02-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Before you start, you should pull up a bit of the carpet and see whats underneath. (just do it in a few closets or room corners) You wouldnt want to pull everything up to discover you need all new subflooring and its going to cost you a lot more than you think.

If you are lucky, you might find that there are hardwood floors underneath the carpet! Thats what happened with us. All we had to do is refinish.

Also, you need to know if the carpet is stapled or glued down. Most carpets are stapled and thats pretty easy to pull up. The real pain is getting all the staples out. Make sure you have as many hands to help and a good set of pliers for everyone. It can be backbreaking if there are a ton of staples.

If its glued down, I don't know how you would get that up easily. And when you do, you would have to get rid of all the glue spots so you floor is perfectly flat before the laminate or hardwood goes down.

mb1197
02-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Ok, I checked with DH since he did some wiring in our house and has been pulling up the carpet in a few corners. He said that we have standard padding and then plywood underneath and that the carpet is stapled.

We are currently in the inbetween stage between carpet and hardwood in a large portion of our house. Since you have a husky I would suggest a lighter colour of hardwood so that when her nails scratch the floor they aren't as noticable. Also a lower gloss finish will also help this.

I would wait until she is 100% house trained if possible as repeated accidents could ruin the floor since you can't have water sit on it for any period of time.
We definitely will be waiting until she has no more accidents and I will only do it if we can do it at a reasonable price. Thanks for the tip on the color of the hardwood. I hadn't thought of that. Would it be best to go with natural hardwood or laminate?

On the existing hardwood floors the dogs have problems sliding into walls when they begin to run. It is very funny at first and they eventually get the hang of it.
This alone would make it all worthwhile!:D

mlfallis
02-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Would it be best to go with natural hardwood or laminate?

Honestly, I love natural hardwood so laminate wasn't even considered. We went with a Birch in a natural colour. The deciding factor may be price. I know laminate is normally cheaper.

Another tip is make sure the floors are 'clean' before you get the flooring put down. If there is an elevation difference between sheets of plywood you will need to sand it down to make the floor level. Also that all staples from the underpadding have been removed. These are especially important if you are gettin someone else to put it down since they will just keep laying the flooring and not take the time to do those things.

Good Luck

mb1197
02-21-2006, 12:59 PM
I love natural hardwood as well. My only thought is that this is a starter house so laminate might be cheaper, but still appealing.

Thanks for all the great tips!

Kristen78
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
We ripped up all the carpeting in our house and installed hardwood floors. We did the downstairs first and then last year we did the upstairs. It wasn't hard, but its alot of work. You need to pull up the carpeting and all of the staples that were used to fasten the carpet padding to the plywood floor. Then if you decide to lay 3/4" wood planks you need to get the special nail gun used to fasten the hardwood flooring. It took a long time to lay all of the floors but it was well worth it. I despise wall-to-wall carpeting!

I think we spent about $1300 on 400 sq feet of red oak for downstairs. Then we spent $3000 or so on 800 sq feet of yellow birch for upstairs.

Sonicstef
02-21-2006, 02:14 PM
From what I can see, good quality laminates will be about the same price as hardwood. There are definitely cheap options in the laminate category but I wouldnt recommend it. ( Good quality looks, sounds and feels very much like real wood and is more durable. )

mb1197
02-22-2006, 07:45 AM
From what I can see, good quality laminates will be about the same price as hardwood. There are definitely cheap options in the laminate category but I wouldnt recommend it. ( Good quality looks, sounds and feels very much like real wood and is more durable. )
I guess I'm mostly concerned about durability with our dog and her nails. I don't want her to be able to scratch up hardwoods.

Secret_Squirrel
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
We've been replacing the carpets in our bedrooms with laminate flooring. We're planning to sell the house in a few years (or less), so the investment in wood flooring didn't make sense for us.

We used Armstrong Swiftlock in our bedroom and installation was a breeze. But we just purchased the Harmonics flooring at Costco last weekend. It has a 25 year warranty and 360 sf cost us only $500.

We did one room in about 6 hours over 2 days. While not quite as simple as to install as the Armstrong, it was still easy and I am very impressed with it. It clicked together seamlessly (with a little help from a tap pad) and the cottage oak finish is beautiful. It comes with a 25 year warranty.

For durability, I'd stick with a color that is middle of the road: too light or too dark will both show scratches. And seams show up easier on lighter floors. Our kitchen has Pergo in an oak finish that's about 5 years old. The previous owner had a large dog, but the floor still looks brand new.

ETA: To avoid "laminate echo" buy a premium, sound absorbing pad. It won't be exactly like hardwoods, but you're not paying a hardwoods price. And it's better than carpet!

Sonicstef
02-23-2006, 05:45 AM
We did one room in about 6 hours

Wow - you rock. It took me the better part of two days to do an entire room and I thought we made good time.

GoCougs
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
When I hear the word "laminate" I'm picturing vinyl, which could be totally incorrect, but it could also include such products as Pergo, a cheaper alternative to hardwood floors without really sacrificing the look of hardwoods. So, I guess the point of my post is this: if "laminate" does NOT include Pergo as a flooring option, you may want to look into that as well, just so you can have more options to consider. Our old house had Pergo floors, and I really couldn't tell the difference between that and true hardwood.

sorry so confusing.....:)

mb1197
03-03-2006, 10:13 AM
YIKES!!! I just got off the phone with Lowes and they gave me an estimate of over $6000 for 1000 square feet of Pergo flooring (includes installation). I soooo did not want to spend that much money. Am I looking at the wrong type of flooring? The guy I spoke to said that the pergo is $3.97 per square foot and $2.19 per square foot for installation.

Does anyone have any less expensive recommendations? I am thinking of getting it installed as I'm not sure DH have the time to take on suchy a project.

lil_geek
03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
I would suggest another brand then Pergo.... we bought laminate flooring on sale for under $1/square foot and are installing it ourselves. Now, this is a super cheap option because we will only be in the house another year and HAD to replace the gross carpets.

You could maybe save money if you found a 'handyman' or some friends who have installed flooring before. It's pretty easy.

Tanya
03-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Just call around to installers and get quotes on installation. It may differ depending on if it's snap-together or glue-together. Don't use Lowes or HD because they just contract the work out anyway and take a cut. We got our bamboo flooring (glue-together) installed for under $2/sq. ft, including the underlayed foam. Be sure to ask about this if you are floating the floor (vs. glueing or nailing it to the sub-floor) because this will add ~50c/sq ft.

Look around on the internet for the flooring you want, it will usually be cheaper, even when you factor in shipping. Try Lumber Liquidators (http://www.lumberliquidators.com). If you do buy the materials at HD/Lowes, make sure to use the 10% off movers coupon.

mb1197
03-03-2006, 10:29 AM
What are some other good brands to look at?