PDA

View Full Version : Help with unsealed wood floors

Ribbit
12-02-2005, 10:07 PM
My boss has these beautiful wood floors in her home, but they are unsealed (just oiled or something). This means that if any food or liquid drops on the floor and isn't wiped up immediately, it leaves a darker spot on the floor that won't come up. Also, her son is now crawling and leaves drool trails on the floor, which seem to bleach the color out. Short of refinishing the floors and resealing them, does anyone know how to get out the dark spots or bleached out spots? Also, is there a way to refinish wood floors that doesn't involve sanding? The floors are smooth, just stained. Any help appreciated...thanks! :)

miel
12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Unfortunately, I think she needs to reseal them, the sooner the better.

Our floors were just re-done and the person who did them (who did an amazingly good job) said that if you let water get on them and soak through a black stain can result that cannot be gotten out later--even by sanding.

It's expensive but really can be just over $1000 for a small area. And it's a good investment because if you dont' do it your floors may be ruined and you will spend much more getting new floors.

The other option is to paint them. That's cheaper. It doesn't look as nice but it does protect the floor and they can be sanded and re-finished later.

QPDoll
12-07-2005, 12:43 PM
We also have unsealed wood floor. Instead of an oil, she should try a paste wax such as Minwax finishing wax. Its the same thing regarding liquids - get it up as soon as possible. But instead of staining a dark color, liquid basically melts the wax and leaves a white/bare spot with no wax. Just rub on a dab of wax and your good to go.

We redo our floors twice a year, lightly wash them down with a damp rag (and quickly wipe up the water), then reapply wax, buff and polish.

We have had a couple of spills along with wet shoes and such (its the living room floor just inside the front door of our house), and haven't had too many problems. I think in the past year without our floors being rewaxed, we only have one white spot and its from a glass that was left sitting on the floor.

And yeah, short of sanding and refinishing the floors, there isn't anyway to avoid dreaded water spots.

I actually had no idea other people had floors like me. I have been asking around for 2 years now, LOL, and just keep getting told to sand the floors and refinish them. Were too busy to do it (4 month old twins) and I actually like the smell of the freshly waxed floor. Admittedly, its a PITA.

QPDoll
12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
oh! and use area rugs! We just put down two where we play with the babies.

Ki Ki Marcus
12-07-2005, 11:38 PM
The other option is to paint them. That's cheaper. It doesn't look as nice but it does protect the floor and they can be sanded and re-finished later.

You can't paint directly over wax. They'd have to remove it... but that can be done with chemicals (mostly I think it's an alchohol solution, can be bought at Lowe's, etc) and then paint.

But if they were to seal them, they'd still want to sand... to remove the water marks if they aren't too deep.

miel
12-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Really QP Doll? You're too busy??? I mean, that's only two babies you've got there. How hard can that be?

Just kidding. I'll bet you're busy!!! Your kids are twins, I take it? (Duh!) Twins are so cool but I have to admit I want to get down and worship the parents of twins when I look at how befuddled I am with just one.

QPDoll
12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Really QP Doll? You're too busy??? I mean, that's only two babies you've got there. How hard can that be?

Just kidding. I'll bet you're busy!!! Your kids are twins, I take it? (Duh!) Twins are so cool but I have to admit I want to get down and worship the parents of twins when I look at how befuddled I am with just one.

Yeah, they are twins. :) Its all in what your use to, these are our only kids, so doing things in double is the only thing we know. Admittedly though, sometimes I have a deep dark thought that one baby would be much easier. (like when we got our santa pictures done, and both boys had a complete meltdown/screaming fit in the mall and people kept walking by and commenting on how good of a job I was doing - yeah, some good job, all 3 of us were in tears.)
I don't even want to think about what it will be like when they are two years old!

miel
12-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Aw, QP...it will probably be like this: They will be cute as hell and a total handful and at the end of the day you will marvel at your ability to survive but also admit that it's pretty impressive you did survive (and your kid survived!)

It's the best years of our lives probably but dang! It's challenging!

Ribbit
12-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. Unfortunately, I think her floors are to the point of needing to be sanded down and resealed. I know she was hoping to avoid sanding, but there are just too many dark spots and bleached out spots to cover up. She has area rugs, but may as well have wall to wall carpet with an active baby (just try keeping him on the rugs)! Someone ought to invent a miracle water spot cleaner/bleached out spot repairer for unfinished wood floors.

QPDoll
12-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Someone ought to invent a miracle water spot cleaner/bleached out spot repairer for unfinished wood floors.

There is one, its called briwax. Its awesome. My DH reminded me about it. It also doesn't build up like regular minwax. It cleans and waxes and removes stains. We bought a can, but unfortunaly, bought a colored kind with stain in it - we needed the colorless kind for our floors. We have used the colored kind on an antique table we have, and it turned out beautiful.