PDA

View Full Version : Very tired when on your period?

DiscoDiva
11-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Aunt Flo is visiting me right now, and I am sooooooooo tired! I think I've noticed this the past few periods as well. I can get 10 hours sleep, take a 2 hour nap, then go to bed early. I am so lethargic! I just worked out and got out of the shower, and I'm ready for a nap. This seems to only happen when I'm on my period. Is this normal?

(in case you're wondering, I've been to a doctor recently, my thyroid is fine, my BP is fine, etc.)

Sherb
11-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm often like that while on my period. It is one of the ways I can tell it is coming - all of a sudden I am so tired and not very motivated.

DiscoDiva
11-09-2005, 02:16 PM
I just woke up from my nap. :o

Thanks for your input, Sherb. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Anyone else?

Delaney21
11-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm like that too. AF came to visit today and I feel like doing nothing other than going to bed.

LeighW
11-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Did you have your iron levels checked? It might be anemia.

Some women are borderline anemic, and the blood loss during menustration pushes them over the edge for a few days. You can take an iron supplement during the days of your period to correct it.

:)

tenofcups
11-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Yes, I get very tired when I have my period. BUT that's something I only noticed when I hit either my mid or late 30s. I don't remember exactly when it started, but I'm almost positive that I didn't feel that way when I was younger. Now (at 42), I'm usually extremely tired the first day and sometimes the day before, but feel normal the rest of the time. I've discussed it with others and it doesn't seem to be uncommon to feel that way.

looch
11-15-2005, 04:01 PM
I used to get really tired during my period, but ever since I started taking my multivitamin with iron and exercising, it's the best week out of the month for me.

KarenS
11-15-2005, 04:55 PM
I see others have mentioned it already, but I'll third or fourth or whatever the suggestion about anemia. I get mildly anemic during my period and it does make me more tired. Try a multi-vitamin with iron during that time (or just eating more red meat). It will help a lot.

Karen

DiscoDiva
11-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Hmmm... I've already been tested for anemia, and I'm not anemic. Also, my thyroid levels are fine. Plus, I take a woman's multivitamin everyday, and I have for years. I also work out at least 4 times a week, so that's not an issue. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older? Or, I should take an additional iron supplement during my period?

KarenS
11-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Just becuase you're not anemic regularly doesn't mean you can't suffer from mild anemia during your period. Have you ever been tested *specifically* during your period? And even if you don't test in the anemic range - remember that you're losing red blood cells, so you're losing iron. Even if you don't register as anemic - you've still got less iron in your body than you're used to.

Also, you just lost quite a bit of weight and changed your eating habits significantly over the last year and a half. The slimmer you are, the more quickly you'll feel a loss ... when you're heavier, it's not as obvious.

And, yeah, age factors into it. Both the mild anemia and just the overall tiredness.

I'd switch to something with an additional iron supplement (or, as I said, more red meat) during that time of month. At least try it for a couple of months. It won't hurt you ... and it might help! :)

Karen

DiscoDiva
11-16-2005, 08:23 AM
What kind of iron supplements do you ladies take? What 'dosage'?

Karen, I think you are probably right. I'm always cold now, too, and I never used to be cold before. I do think monthly peroid-related anemia is a good possibility of what's going on.

KarenS
11-16-2005, 08:46 AM
DD - I normally just take the GNC women's multi-vitamin every day. During my period (starting probably about 2 days before until it's over) I switch to the GNC women's multi-vite with added iron. Word of warning - it can cause a bit of mild constipation, so a little extra fiber on those days will help. :)

Karen

carrie9142
11-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Please be careful self-diagnosing and treating anemia. Iron is one of the few things that can be lethal if too much is taken. Just a little PSA ;)

KarenS
11-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Thalessemia Minor (not the same as Thalessemia Trait/Cooley's Anemia) that is very common in people of Southern Italian, Greek and Mediterranean descent [...] It cannot be corrected with iron supplements. A good friend of mine has this. She's an Ashkenazic Jew and says it's common in that group, too. She cannot take iron supplements and must eat red meat at least twice a week or so or she begins to feel the effects of it.

Please be careful self-diagnosing and treating anemia. Iron is one of the few things that can be lethal if too much is taken. Just a little PSA While I agree that it's rarely a good idea to self-diagnose and self-medicate, I really think that anemia during your menstrual period is very common and taking a multivitamin is not going to be leathal to anyone! :) I woudn't recommend hard-core iron supplements w/out talking to a doctor, but swapping vitamins for a week shouldn't be that big a deal.

karen

DiscoDiva
11-16-2005, 09:30 AM
I can see swapping my regular One A Day with One A Day with extra Iron. I'll try that!

carrie9142
11-16-2005, 03:00 PM
A MVM or prenatal won't hurt and is probably a good idea for everyone. I am only referring to true iron supplements :) Or just eat a steak ;)

Rose
11-17-2005, 01:50 PM
I am always more tired during my period but I suffer from severe anemia on and off so I am always tired. :)