PDA

View Full Version : Tender Required?????

lovebugs2003
11-05-2005, 06:07 PM
HI Ladies

Hoping someone can help me. We are going on a Cruise in January and at 2 of our ports, it says tender required. I probably should know what that means, but I don't. Does anyone know what this is?

I just want to be prepared for when we go

Thanks

Lizard
11-05-2005, 06:15 PM
"Tender" means that the ship won't dock... it'll anchor out in the water and you will need to take a smaller boat to get to the shore. It's not bad - the boats are still big. But you will want to plan extra time to get to your excursions and back to the ship.

Lil' Peach
11-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Hmm.. I hadn't heard of that before!

Just curious where you are going on your cruise?? My hubby & I are also going on a cruise in January!

lovebugs2003
11-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks Lizard, I had no idea.

Lil'Peach, we are going on the Dawn Princess to the Mexican Riviera for 10 days.

kiddo
11-05-2005, 07:25 PM
"Tender" means that the ship won't dock... it'll anchor out in the water and you will need to take a smaller boat to get to the shore. It's not bad - the boats are still big. But you will want to plan extra time to get to your excursions and back to the ship.

Yup. That usually happens when a cruise ship is too big to dock right at the pier. When a cruise I went on stopped in Grand Cayman, we had to take a tender in. It was no big deal, it's bascially like taking a little ferry.

Have fun!

lovebugs2003
11-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Lil Peach, where are you going on your cruise?

DiscoDiva
11-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I took a tender when I was on a Royal Carribean cruise to the Mexican Riveria. At one port, we took a smaller boat/ferry/tender into shore. It's no big deal and you don't pay any extra for it.

luvnu43
11-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Check out www.cruisecritic.com and go to the Message Boards...they are just like CC. There are forums for first time cruisers and they are VERY helpful. They tell what to pack and how to make the most of your cruise!

Bon Voyage!

sapphire
11-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Just as the other posters mentioned -- tendering is no biggie. Maybe you will get lucky like me we almost missed our ship but got lucky and ended up on the last tender. The silliest (sp?) thing about it though is that they let me steer/drive the thing until I started trying to go back because I didn't want to leave Cabo San Lucas. The coolest thing about it is that we have a picture of me steering the boat with two Pacifico's, one in each hand.

[B]I in no way condone drinking and boating.[B] just a fun memory

ETA- the bold, why doesn't it work?

BTB
11-06-2005, 08:59 PM
In your second brackets, there must be a backslash (/) in front of the b: [/b] to close the command.

Agree with the others - tendering = no big deal. Can result in a line to go ashore, so leave extra time. If you're very motion sensitive, use dramamine, as you will notice much more motion on a 60-100 person tender than on an enormous ocean liner. Bon voyage. :)

Lil' Peach
11-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Lil Peach, where are you going on your cruise?

We are going on the Star Princess to the western carribean! Can't wait! :)

mollyeilis
11-08-2005, 12:54 AM
What everyone else has said. It doesn't always mean the ship is too big, though. It can also mean, as it did in our case in Juneau, that the ship is the last to get to port and doesn't have a parking space left, due to all the Princess and whatever else ships. :)

Bring your camera, have it out, because you can get GREAT shots of your ship from the boat!

This (http://images.snapfish.com/3454668%3B23232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2323%3D536%3D5%3A3 %3D32325364%3B28%3A7nu0mrj) is what the tender boat looked like. And this (http://images.snapfish.com/3454668%3B23232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2323%3D536%3D5%3A6 %3D32325364%3B563%3Bnu0mrj) picture could not have been taken by me if it weren't for having to tender! :D

lovebugs2003
11-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for all the helpful info. Well we have decided to actually book excursions for those days that we tender, apparently you get off the ship quicker.

My hubby and i can't wait.

Thanks again

KarenS
11-08-2005, 06:38 AM
While I agree that tendering isn't a big deal - I will issue one word of warning. They are not big boats and sometimes the water in the harbor is very choppy due to the number of small boats and wakes. My DH is prone to sea sickness. He was *fine* on the cruise becuase the boat was big enough that he didn't feel the motion. He threw up after being on the tender both times.

So if you're prone to motion-sickness, a dose of dramamine or something similar before tendering will help.

Karen

lovebugs2003
11-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks Karen. I think we should be OK, my DH goes fishing a lot on little boats in rough water and i have been on baots and never got sick. But i will definitely take them with me just in case. Thanks for the warning.

southhavenjen
11-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for all the helpful info. Well we have decided to actually book excursions for those days that we tender, apparently you get off the ship quicker.

My hubby and i can't wait.

Thanks again

I think if you tender, it takes you longer to get off the ship. If you are at the dock, you can walk off at your leisure. If you tender, you have to wait while they take all the passengers off 100 at a time in the tender boats. You also need to be sure not to miss the last tender (usually 1 hour before sail time??) or you are SOL.

kiddo
11-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I think if you tender, it takes you longer to get off the ship.

Right, but if you book and excursion on board, you can bypass the tender line and go with the tour group instead.

mollyeilis
11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
And if you're with an official excursion that runs long, they'll hold the ship for your group (or get you onto it), whereas if you're just roaming on your own, again, SOL. :o

southhavenjen
11-08-2005, 03:24 PM
These ladies are right. We always book our shore excursions independently (saves $$) so my comments were with that in mind. :D

lovebugs2003
11-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Well we will probably just book an early one, nothing to big, just to get us off the boat, and then maybe do our own thing.